|Effing broken data
||[Feb. 26th, 2010|11:42 pm]
Very frustrating week at work.|
One of the things I do at work is to take the datasets I curate and generate derived products for people. I've been working on doing this for the EPA (who have given us actual money) for one of the very-much-delayed datasets that is FINALLY getting finished.
The thing is, in this particular case, what we're getting from the modelers is only about 90% finished. All the data is there, but it needs some banging on with the old data-hammer before I can run it through the machinery I've built.
So all week I have been finding problems and fixing them and re-running it and finding new problems and fixing them and doing it again and go-go-going because not only is this thing HEINOUSLY overdue, I have this ever-growing pile of things I've been putting off while I finish it because I keep thinking that the end is just around the corner. And then I discover a new problem that was being masked by the one I just fixed.
I stayed at work until 9 pm tonight before giving up in defeat. I was very much hoping to meet up with Jason & Alex, but 'tis not to be. Blah.
But on the plus side, the appraisal happened and came in at $10k over what we're paying. So that's nice.