The time spent working on the Texas thing was much more satisfying. I found a half-dozen weather stations around the target with long records and the analysis came together very smoothly. I figured out how to pull data from the Berkeley Earth project that I was able to use to compensate for station bias, and indeed, there's now a consistent upward trend on everything, just like I expected. Ha HA! I still haven't figured out how to get humidity data to calculate the heat index, and I sorted out an error this morning where I had used (incorrect) heat index instead of maximum temperature in one set of plots (whoops!) but I'll probably be able to come up with something once I'm done proposaling.
I'm really hoping that will be tomorrow. We're on the nearly-final draft. Ben is going to do the references tonight, and I'll have to incorporate any last-minute edits from people who offered a read-through, but then I can do a final proofing and I should be able to hand it over to our admin person. That plus my biosketch and I can walk away from it. I hope.