Beemer (dr_tectonic) wrote,


Okay, so here is where I try to figure out how long this day has been and probably get it wrong both because the math is hard and because I'm really tired.

My computer says that it's 5:22 in the morning, and my phone says it's 8:22 in the evening. So that's... 15 hours ahead? Yes. Because that's equal to "9 hours behind but tomorrow", which is what I find easier to remember, and what I had to keep track of when Jerry was an exchange student a decade ago.

So... Tuesday was a normal day schedule-wise. I spent it finishing up travel prep (mostly copying things onto and off of computers and phones, plus putting things in organized piles to go into suitcases once Jerry got home) and we went to bed around 10:30 or 11.

And then we got up at 2:30 in the morning.

Left the house at 3, parked in the shuttle parking lot around 3:30, arrived at DIA a few minutes after 4. This was the only part of our travels with a tight connection; we had to be checked in by 4:30 (90 minutes before the flight), but the check-in desk didn't open until 4. There was a big chaotic mob milling about when we got there, presumably because a bunch of other people were in similar boats, but the mob was milling around an abundance of self-check kiosks, so we were able to get all checked in with 10 minutes to spare easy, so yay!

Security was gross, but at this point we were in no rush, so it was tedious but fine. We boarded our plane to LAX and took off on time, and then I put on a sleep mask and my headphones (8-hour track of crashing waves pulled of youtube) and slept half-decently through almost the entire 2.5-hour flight to L.A.

We landed in L.A. at 8:30 Mountain time, 7:30 Pacific time, and then had six hours to kill, since our flight didn't depart until 2 pm. We got some breakfast, then schlepped our way to the international terminal and found a nice lounge area behind all the swanky shops to hang out until the flight was close enough that they actually listed which gate it was at.

So... okay, that's six hours from waking up to landing in L.A., then another six hours to board the plane to Osaka, and then half an hour before taking off. So that's twelve and a half hours on 3-ish hours of sleep plus 2-ish hours of half-sleep.

Neither of us managed to sleep on the LAX-KIX flight. We took off at 2 pm and landed at 6 pm and it was afternoon the whoooooole way. They dimmed the cabin lights after serving us food, and instead of normal pull-down window shades, it looks like they now use some kind of electronically-controlled polarization system, which is pretty cool. I decided to try for a 3-hour nap at one point (even set myself an alarm), but gave up after half an hour because I just wasn't sleepy.

Instead, I watched Ocean's Eight (which I thought was a very good heist movie; it's got a kind of structural meta-twist that took it different places than I expected), and Crazy Rich Asians (which I also enjoyed), and read a good chunk of a book, and played some games on the computer, etc. etc. Both movies feature Awkwafina in (very funny) supporting roles, so that's an interesting coincidence.

So we landed at 6, and then it took about an hour and change to deplane and make our way through passport control and customs. We got checked into the Nikko Hotel right here at the airport, so that's nice. Changed out of sweaty travel clothes and rinsed off in the shower, which was heavenly.

At the moment, in a reversal of our usual roles, Jerry is off exploring the little shopping center that occupies the zone between the outer part of the terminal and the train station, while I'm sitting in the hotel room enjoying the quiet and lack of people. (Also trying to stay awake until after 10 pm local time, so as not to wake up in the middle of the night with jet lag.) I realize that I like to settle in and get things put away after I've done a lot of traveling; putting all the toiletries in the bathroom and setting up APAPs and so on makes me feel like I'm finished and can relax.

So that's... okay, 12 and a half plus 12 hours plus 3 is 27 and a half hours since we got up yesterday morning. On about 5 hours of sleep since I got up the day before. Wooo! I feel like I'm remarkably lucid, considering.

  • The Dependency Principle and the Litany Against Fear

    Two thoughts on COVID-19: First, from Iain M. Banks' Excession: There was only one problem with the Land of Infinite Fun, and that was that if…

  • Ultravision

    I fell out of the habit of posting while work was so busy last fall, and now I've been feeling like I need to Say Something Important about my life…

  • Holiday Recovery

    I think, maybe, I am finally recovered from the end of 2019, which was exhausting. Basically, a bunch of work deadlines all converged, most of which…

  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded